Pulmonary Embolism


If you think you have a pulmonary embolism it is important to get medical treatment right away.  

If your doctor diagnosed a blood clot in your lung (or leg) you will be treated with an anticoagulation therapy (blood clot prevention medication) called warfarin and heparin.  It is important to talk to your doctor and pharmacist about all of the possible side effects with anticoagulation therapy.

Your doctor may also prescribe clot dissolvers (thrombolytics). Most clots usually dissolve on their own but sometimes you may get medicines to help the clots dissolve quickly. There are a number of risks with these drugs and are often only giving in emergency situations.

AddThis Social Sharing Icon

Page Last Updated: 19/08/2014